Canal Walk shoppers say they want to be assured that they will be safe at the mall after a burglary there last week.
Five men broke into a Canal Walk shop on Wednesday December 6, at 5.25am, and took an “undisclosed amount of electronic devices”, according to Milnerton police spokeswoman Captain Nopaya Madyibi.
Police are investigating a burglary case and the perpetrators are still at large.
Commenting on various Facebook groups, Milnerton residents said the incidents were unsettling and Allison Blair said it was strange that random men could get into the mall after hours.
Speaking to Tabletalk, Ms Blair said: “This screams of an inside job. They must have known that the entrance they went to didn’t have any security. It all seems so well orchestrated, and it can only be done so if someone on the inside helped them or tipped them off.”
Bridgette Nienaber said on Facebook: “This worries me because I frequent that mall so much. I also have family coming from overseas. Should we now stay away from that place? I know it happened at 5 in the morning and no shoppers were there, but these robbers can take their chances one day with the mall full of shoppers. I mean we have seen that before. This isn’t a good advert for that mall, and that is actually my favourite place to shop.”
In a statement, Canal Walk spokeswoman Vanessa Herbst said: “We are aware of the incident. The front door of the store was damaged. It was before trading hours and there were no injuries. We are still busy with the investigation.”