Thirty Doornbach residents were left homeless after a fire burnt 10 wood and iron structures to the ground on Wednesday January 27.
The fire apparently started when a candle fell over and bedding caught alight, at about 1.47am.
Fire and Rescue administrative officer, Liezl Moodie said two fire engines, a water tanker and one rescue vehicle was dispatched from Milnerton and Melkbosstrand fire stations.
Disaster Risk Management representatives were also sent out to assess the damage caused by the fire, and provide those who were left homeless with social relief in the form of fire starter kits, which included roof sheets, timbers, food and blankets.
“We dispersed fire starter kits and this year we will focus on creating public awareness on fire prevention,” said Disaster Risk Management spokesperson, Mandy Thomas.
The Doornbach land, which is situated opposite Dunoon, had a high fire alert in previous years because before the City of Cape Town bought the land from a private owner in 2011, the community had no access to basic services.
Mayco member for human settlements, Benedicta van Minnen, said since then water and sanitation services and electricity had been provided with the help of Eskom.
“This resulted in a significant reduction in fire risk, apart from the other social benefits for residents associated with having access to electricity. The City is in the planning phase to rezone and subdivide the informal settlement in order to formally upgrade it,” said Ms Van Minnen.