Fire leaves seven homeless

Athina May

A stove left burning caused a fire that destroyed four shacks in Ncanda Avenue, Joe Slovo, on Saturday January 16, leaving seven people homeless.

The fire started in a backyard shack and spread to a nearby house and adjacent shacks. A resident called Ward 4 councillor Dr Joy McCarthy for help.

“I was contacted and I called disaster risk management, which, in turn, notified social development because there was a baby involved. These were backyarders whose homes burnt down,” said Dr McCarthy.

According to fire and rescue service administrative officer Liezl Moodie, clothing near the stove had caught fire and that caused the fire to spread. Two fire engines, a water tanker and a rescue vehicle were dispatched from Milnerton, Brooklyn and Goodwood fire stations.

“The structures were at the rear of a formal house and caused slight damage to the wall of the house. No injuries were reported,” said Ms Moodie.

Dr McCarthy said disaster kits, coated with fire-retardant paint, were given to the victims of the blaze to help them rebuild their homes. Food and toiletries were also supplied.

Next article

Cuckoo

SHARE