A Phoenix mother has vowed to get to the bottom of her son’s death after he was allegedly shot and killed by a security officer last week in Milnerton.
The incident that claimed 19-year-old Shabani Simon’s life happened at the Platinum Junction Business Park.
According to Milnerton police spokeswoman Captain Nopaya Madyibi, a security guard on patrol, on Thursday December 7, at 7pm, noticed someone “fiddling” with a stationary truck on the corner Platinum Crescent and Democracy Way.
“The security guard asked the victim what he was doing. The victim came to the security and grabbed him by his clothes. They struggled, and in that process, the victim took the security guard’s cellphone and took out a knife charging towards the security. The security managed to draw a firearm and shot the victim.”
The 19-year-old victim had died at the scene, she said, adding that an inquest had been opened for investigation.
Shabani’s mother, Brenda Simon, claimed the security guard who she says shot her son had previously assaulted and threatened him.
“This security company has had previous run-ins with my son in the past. Last year around March, he was beaten up by the security officers, and the officer who shot him, was one of the ones who assaulted him then. I didn’t lay a charge, unfortunately, but now I wish that I had. I blame myself for that. These people never liked my son. My son told me once that this same security that shot him had made threats of shooting him before. However, we never thought this would actually happen.”
Ms Simon said her son had dropped out of high school in Grade 10.
“Shabani was a very friendly, helpful child that always lent a helping hand. He loved playing soccer, but I noticed at age 15 he started to mix with the wrong crowd. His school work was excellent until he started smoking dagga and then started not attending school. This didn’t make him a bad child. He was just mixed up with the wrong crowd at the time.”
Before his death, he had been off drugs and seemed to be heading in the right path, she said.
Ms Simon said she had rushed to the scene of the shooting where she had found her son’s lifeless body covered up. She claimed he had been shot five times although that could not be independently verified at the time of going to print.
In response to questions, the security company, which is known to Tabletalk, said: “We understand the public’s interest in obtaining information, and we want to assure you that we are fully co-operating with the authorities involved in the investigation. Our commitment to transparency and accountability remains unwavering, and we are confident that a thorough examination will reveal the facts. In light of the sensitivity of the situation, we kindly request that our company name not be mentioned in any news articles or updates related to the investigation.
“This precaution is essential to protect the integrity of the process and prevent any unintended consequences that may arise from premature speculation.
“We value the work of the media and the importance of accurate reporting. As the investigation progresses, we will continue to assess the situation and determine an appropriate time to provide more information. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation in respecting the confidentiality of the ongoing proceedings. In accordance with the Protection of Personal Information Act (POPIA), please respect our right to privacy.”
Neither the police nor the security company responded to Ms Simon’s accusations that her son had been previously assaulted and that threats had been made against him.