MyCiTi stations targeted, again

Dunoon MyCiTi station had its windows broken by bricks. PICTURE: BRETT HERRON FACEBOOK

The City of Cape Town has condemned the weekend destruction of the Usasaza and Dunoon MyCiTi stations.

The two stations will be closed for a couple of months after protesters wrecked them with bricks and burning tyres.

Brett Herron, Mayco member for transport and urban development, said the damage would be assessed in the coming weeks.

“It’s safe to say that it will be in excess of a million rand to repair the smashed doors, window panes, and other critical infrastructure before the stations will be operational again,” said Mr Herron. Tabletalk reported on a similar incident last year, when land invaders wrecked the Omuramba MyCiTi station (“MyCiTi bears brunt of anger,” Tabletalk, August 16 2018).

The Dunoon and Usasaza stations are on two of the busiest MyCiTi trunk routes, the T01 and T04, feeding the CBD and Century City.

The motive for the attacks is unknown, but Mr Herron said it was unacceptable for protesters to vent their anger by destroying costly public infrastructure.

“Commuters are advised to make use of the temporary bus stops at the Stables depot in Stables Road, or else, to walk about a kilometre to the Killarney MyCiTi station to board the MyCiTi buses. This will apply until further notice,” he said.