Melkbosstrand residents have raised more than R100 000 for the families of the victims of a fatal road crash two months ago.
Six people died when a truck and taxi collided on the corner of the R27 and Birkenhead Road on Tuesday June 8. A seventh victim died on the way to hospital and an eighth died a week later in hospital (“Charity drive for horror crash families,” Tabletalk, June 16).
According to Karen Dreyer, who along with Fraser Gregg, has been leading efforts to help the victims’ families get back on their feet, a further two victims have since died of their injuries, bringing the total death toll to 10, although this figure could not be confirmed with the police at the time of publication.
Ms Dreyer and Mr Gregg started a charity drive soon after the crash. People could donate groceries for the 16 families whose relatives had been killed or injured. And a trust was established through STBB Attorneys Blouberg to raise money for the families.
According to Ms Dreyer, R105 029 has been collected so far.
“We have managed to donate groceries to the families and the money will be shared among them as well. Sadly, two more passengers from the taxi succumbed to their injuries, making a total of 10 people that have died because of the accident. It has been difficult for these families. Some have lost loved ones who were breadwinners, some of the victims will have long-term injuries,” she said.
Ms Dreyer said she and Mr Gregg had helped to get the 16 families in contact with a law firm that would help them with claims from the Road Accident Fund (RAF).
“We know the RAF process is a very long one, but we thought this would really help the families in the long run. There are two more victims who are still in hospital. Some of those who were injured had to learn to walk again. But the families have been very supportive of one another, often sharing videos of themselves or loved ones recovering, smiling and encouraging others not to give up.”
The fund-raising initiative is now closed.
In June, provincial police spokesman Captain FC Van Wyk said a culpable homicide investigation was ongoing, but no one had been charged yet. By the time of publication, police had not responded to questions.