Pensioners urged to apply for rates rebate

Pensioners who are 60 and older and who were receiving rates rebates during the previous General Valuation (GV) period of 2015 have until the end of November to reapply for assistance. New applications are also welcome.

The previous three-year GV cycle ended in June 2019 and the new GV 2018 was implemented on 1 July 2019.

Property owners who are dependent on pensions or social grants for their livelihood, including those with special needs, and who earn a household income of up to R17 500 may qualify for rates discounts.

It is an increase of R2 500 in the monthly household income threshold for rates assistance. The rebates for all income bands between R4 500 and R17 500 per month were also adjusted upwards.

Furthermore, impoverished property owners who earn up to R6 000 a month, regardless of their age, are also encouraged to apply for indigent benefits that include rates rebates.

“We encourage qualifying pensioners to act now and not to lose out on the assistance that is on offer,” said Ian Neilson, mayoral committee member for finance. “From November onwards, our customer walk-in offices also become busier, so we encourage our pensioners to bear this in mind. Officials will, however, assist as far as is possible. In these challenging economic times, every bit of financial relief can go a long way to assist families and their budgets. Those who qualify need only go through the verification process once every three years. It coincides with the General Valuation of properties.

“It used to be a requirement that pensioners go through this application process every year. To reduce the burden on pensioners, we managed to change the reapplication process so that applicants need only submit their paperwork every three years.” Pensioners and social grant beneficiaries can download application forms from or apply at a local walk-in centre. E-mail the necessary information to Include the following with your application: Certified copies of proof of income (not older than three months) for the owner and spouse/partner and three months’ original, printed bank statements for all banking accounts from all banking institutions (not older than three months). Donations are not regarded as income.

Certified copies of the ID of owner and spouse/partner.

Certified copy of lease agreement if applicable.

Certified copies of proof of pension (private and state pension).

Certified copies of documentation as evidence of investments or dividends.

Certified copies of documentation as evidence of usufruct/habitation/executor/administrator or curator.

Certified copy of proof of trust document and income of all beneficiaries of the trust if applicable.

Certified copy of the applicant’s ID and proof of income for all owners are required where a property is held by multiple owners. A certified power of attorney permitting the applicant to act on behalf of the other property owners is required.

If the property is registered as a closed corporation (CC), a certified copy of the applicant’s ID (the person residing in the property) and a certified proof of income for all of the other registered owners of the property are required. A certified letter permitting the applicant to act on behalf of the other owners is also required.

A certified copy of a death certificate or will is needed, if applicable.

To apply for indigent support, download a form from or e-mail or collect one from your nearest municipal office. Renewal applications have been posted to existing rates rebate and indigent grant recipients.

Include all relevant documentation with the application and submit the completed form to any municipal revenue walk-in office or post the documents to Director Revenue, City of Cape Town, PO Box 655, Cape Town, 8000. When posting a form, a certified copy of your ID or other proof of identification must be included. Visit any one of the City walk-in centres your nearest housing office, or call the City’s Call Centre at 0860 103 089.