A minor at a Western Seaboard high school is set to appear in court again next month on a charge of sexually assaulting a teenage girl in November.
According to provincial police spokesman Captain FC Van Wyk, a 16-year-old girl opened a case of sexual assault at Milnerton police station on November 16 last year.
“The matter is currently under investigation by Milnerton family violence, child protection and sexual offences unit,” he said.
He would not elaborate on where the alleged sexual assault happened.
The 17-year-old suspect appeared in the Cape Town Magistrate’s Court on Tuesday January 28. His next appearance is scheduled for Thursday July 9.
In a statement, the boy’s father said the law should take its course.
“I am on record for fighting gender-based violence in this country, and we hope that the police will do a thorough investigation to get to the bottom of this in-order for justice to prevail. My family and I is not above the law and as such we will appreciate a swift investigation to get this matter to finalisation.”
Western Cape Education Department spokeswoman Bronagh Hammond said the district office had visited the school to ascertain some of the details regarding the allegations.
“No learners have come forward in respect of allegations of sexual misconduct towards them. The school did receive a complaint in March regarding a conversation between a girl and the learner in class. This conversation was reported to the principal by the girl and her friends.
“This matter was then immediately escalated to the school governing body. The learner and his father were called in to discuss the matter pertaining to the conversation. The girls who reported the conversation were offered counselling but declined,” said Ms Hammond.
She said the school had asked pupils with knowledge of inappropriate behaviour to come forward.
The pupil was currently not at the school, she added.
Meanwhile, there has been a call on social media to hold a peaceful protest against gender violence.
The meeting spot is Janssens Avenue near the MyCiTi bus station on Friday June 26 at 2pm.
Participants have been asked to wear masks, practise physical distancing and not take part if they feel ill.