Q&A session on future of Bothasig clinic

SUMMER JACOBS

Health MEC Dr Nomafrench Mbombo answered questions about the future of the Bothasig clinic during a public meeting last Thursday.

The clinic made headlines last month when it was announced that it will soon be transferred from the City of Cape Town to the provincial health department, (“Bothasig clinic gets a shot in the arm,” Tabletalk, February 17).

The meeting took place at the Bothasig community centre and was attended by about 50 residents, most of them elderly. Bothasig councillor Helen Carstens and Keith Cloete, chief director of Cape Metro District Health Services, also addressed the meeting. Ms Carstens stressed the clinic’s transition would not take place overnight.

“In essence it means you won’t have to go to the Dirkie Uys clinic anymore,” she said.

Dr Cloete said: “We as the management team have a full commitment to this process. We are here to start the process, and we would like to do it in good spirit and in good faith. We understand the long term frustration will be there and we are cognisant of it.”

He also commended his colleagues who he said had made haste between December 8 and now to get the wheels in motion.

“We want to make sure the whole process runs as smoothly as possible,” said Dr Cloete.

Dr Mbombo answered questions from the seniors, many of whom had gripes with having to go to the Dirkie Uys clinic and the level of service there. They were happy to hear that no matter how small or how severe their problems were they would be able to see a nurse or a doctor at the new clinic. Although the panel could not commit to an opening date for the new clinic they said it would take place in the 2016/2017 financial year.