An 18-year-old Mandalay boy went missing after he and three other teens were caught in a rip current at Sunset Beach.
The search for the boy continues and his family are being kept informed, says National Sea Rescue Institute (NSRI) spokesman Craig Lambinon.
Emergency services responded on Saturday after being alerted by bystanders, according to NSRI’s duty coxswain Terence Lawson.
One of the four boys caught in the rip current was rescued by a Mauritian couple who used an NSRI pink rescue buoy to pull him to shore, and two other boys were rescued by bystanders.
But the Mandalay teen went missing in the surf.
“Despite an extensive search, there remains no sign of the missing teenager. Police divers attended at the scene and are continuing in an ongoing search,” said Mr Lawson.
Community Medics spokeswoman Jolene Page said the NSRI had already been doing a search when they had got to the scene.
“The incident was then handed over to police who are still searching for the boy,” she said.
City Fire and Rescue Service spokesman Jermaine Carelse said: “Rubber ducks and jet skis were used to search the coastline as well as a helicopter. The fire-services dive unit was deployed near Dolphin Beach. Metro EMS deployed their drone, all this with no success.”
Provincial police spokesman Captain FC van Wyk said the search for the missing boy continued.