Two bust for abalone

Two people were arrested on Thursday night August 3 in Table View in possession of a large amount of abalone and for having fish processing equipment without a valid permit.

The arrests followed a joint venture between the Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries and SAPS’ Sea Border and Organised Crime units.

The first suspect, a 32-year-old man, was cornered during a search operation in Madeira Crescent, Table View, in which 23 357 units of dried abalone and 3 915 units of wet abalone were confiscated as well as equipment used to process marine resources.

Another search operation was carried out at a residence in Wood Drive, Table View, later on Thursday night. That operation turned out to be fruitful as a 25-year-old suspect was found in possession of 10 919 units of dried abalone and 4 340 units of wet abalone as well as the illegal possession of fish operating equipment.

While the street value of the abalone is still to be determined, SAPS said it is estimated to be a large amount. The two suspects appeared in the Cape Town Magistrate’s Court on Monday August 7.

A passer-by discovered the body of a man in a Parklands swamp near the railway line on Tuesday afternoon, August 1.

Authorities said the man appeared to have been beaten up because next to him there were sticks and stones and he had multiple injuries. According to paramedics these injuries included “a large head wound”. An autopsy is still to confirm what the cause of death was.

The police are urging anyone with information that could help investigators and assist in identifying the deceased to come forward. Call Table View police station at 021 521 3300 or Crime Stop at 08600 10111.

On Thursday August 3, shortly after 8pm, three men, one armed with a firearm, entered and robbed a shop at 5 Summer Greens Drive, Milnerton. Cash, cigarettes, boxes of chocolates and three cellphones were taken.

No one was injured during the incident.

Video footage of the incident has been obtained by the police and will be viewed. The case is still under investigation.

Previous articleWeekend crashes
Next articleAwareness event