Woman shot dead in Phoenix

A 37-year-old woman was shot dead on the corner of Freedom Way and Marinus Road in Phoenix last Thursday.

Police are investigating a murder case after a woman was shot dead in Phoenix last week.

A man shot the 37-year-old woman several times in the head and body opposite the Phoenix Pub, on the corner of Freedom Way and Marinus Road, on Thursday morning, according to Milnerton police spokeswoman, Captain Nopaya Madyibi.

“She was declared dead on the scene by medical staff,” Captain Madyibi said.

The killer is still at large.

Witnesses say it was already light outside, about 6.30am, when they heard gunshots.

Two cartridge casings and two bullets had been found near the body, along with her cellphone and handbag, said Captain Madyibi.

Residents who spoke to Tabletalk about the incident did not want their names published, saying they feared retaliation.

One resident said the killing could be linked to another shooting three weeks earlier.

“Three weeks ago, there was a man shot in Joe Slovo. The lady that was just killed now, she knew what happened there. The rumours are now that she was going to be a state witness in that case. That is why the poor lady was just shot and killed and left for dead, and they didn’t even rob her.”

Another resident said she had been walking to the Joe Slovo taxi rank when she had heard the shots.

“Of course, people just ran in different directions. It is a scary thing. There are killings all the time, and we don’t know what is happening. Maybe judgement day is coming because this is too much.”

Captain Madyibi said she could not confirm that the victim had been a witness in a murder case. Anyone with information could contact Crime Stop at 08600 10111, she said.

A video on social media shows the victim’s body covered in a white sheet while someone in the crowd could be heard crying.

Captain Madyibi said the victim’s mother had been at the scene after the shooting and had been taken to Milnerton police station for trauma counselling.

• In an unrelated case, Milnerton police arrested a 68-year-old ICU patient at Mediclinic Milnerton on Friday morning, for attempted murder.

The man was in ICU with a heart condition, but he allegedly woke up and went to fetch a pistol from his bag in a cupboard before firing two shots in the presence of staff and patients, said Captain Madyibi.

“Nobody was injured. His firearm was confiscated,” she said.

The man was set to appear in the Cape Town Magistrate’s Court on Monday November 29.

Mediclinic Milnerton did not respond to questions by the time of publication.