Search continues after man goes missing at sea

A 26-year-old man from Delft went missing after getting into the sea at a beach in Table View on Sunday. According to the National Sea Rescue Institute’s (NSRI) spokesman, Craig Lambinon, the search for the man is still ongoing and the NSRI’s Melkbosstrand duty crew were dispatched at 11pm on Sunday night.

“A sea rescue craft was launched, NSRI rescue crew, SAPS, City of Cape Town’s Fire and Rescue Services and the Western Cape Department of Health’s emergency services responded,” he said. Mr Lambinon said that an extensive sea and shoreline search was conducted but no sign of the man was found.

He had been in the company of friends when he reportedly went into the surf.

The ongoing search operation has been handed into the care of the police diving unit and SAPS who are investigating.