The Table Bay Nature Reserve’s Rietvlei area will be closed to the public for water sport use during seven upcoming events, says the City of Cape Town.
Milnerton Aquatic Club (MAC) is staging several events over the next few months to celebrate its 40th anniversary, and all are welcome to attend:
* MAC’s opening cruise on Saturday August 27.
* MAC’s 40th anniversary combined with the Anything That Floats event on Heritage Day, Saturday September 24.
* The 12-hour sailing challenge on Saturday October 29.
* Windsurfing speed challenge on Saturday December 3.
In 2017, several exclusive water sport events will be held:
* Another windsurfing speed challenge on February 4.
* The 24-hour sailing challenge from March 18 to 19.
* Battle of the Vlei paddle event on May 21
Entry to the reserve is R15 for adults and R8 for children, as well as R21 a vehicle. No dogs or alcohol is allowed in the reserve.
The reserve is home to about 412 plant species, 31 mammal species, 196 bird species, 33 reptile species, nine amphibian species, and 14 fish species. The Rietvlei water area is open daily from 7.30am to 4pm, and can only be accessed at the main entrance gate at 10 Sandpiper Crescent, Table View.